Monthly Archives: January 2011

F-1 Student Visa

There are over 10,000 SEVIS-approved schools in the United States, and over 700,000 active students from outside of the United States. Most of these students are either on an F-1 or M-1 visa. While these visas are rather simple to get, there are a few things you should consider. If you are coming to the U.S. to look for a school, but have not yet enrolled, you will be admitted on a B-2 (tourist) visa. It is CRUCIAL that you state your intention to the customs officer that you intend to look for a school to enroll in when entering the U.S. Once you are admitted to a school, you will have to change your status by filing a form I-539, to go from a B-2 visa to an F-1 or M-1 visa. If you didn’t express your intent to look for a school while on a B-2 visa, you may be denied an F-1 visa. Moreover, you cannot enroll in classes before you are issued an F-1 visa. Otherwise, you will be in violation of your visa status and would be required to leave the United States.

Whether enrolling in college, university, post-graduate school or any other educational institute, Maximilian Law Inc. will prepare your student visa application, as well as your Optional Practical Training (OPT)/Curricular Practical Training (CPT) application. Maximilian Law Inc. will also assist those who are already in the U.S. on another visa (such as a B-2 or J-1) change their status to an F-1 or M-1 visa. We also assist presently enrolled international students on F-1 visas with adjustment of status to work visas or green cards.