Canadians in the United States

Canadians in the United States

Visas and green cards for Canadians immigrating or moving to the United States.

From students to snowbirds, and spouses to skilled workers, hundreds of thousands of Canadians move to the United States every year. With such a high volume of cross-border movement, Maximilian Law has established a strong niche in assisting Canadians who are immigrating to the United States.

As a licensed U.S. attorney, a B.C. Practitioner of Foreign Law, a California real estate broker, and a Canadian Immigration Consultant, Mr. Shen is experienced in advising Canadians and Americans on a broad range of cross-border legal issues including, but not limited to:

  • K-1 fiancé visa for Canadians engaged to a U.S. citizen
  • Green card for Canadians married to a U.S. citizen (including same sex spouses)
  • O-1 visa for Canadian actors, entertainers or artists
  • H-1B work visa for Canadians
  • TN work visa for Canadians
  • TN management consultant visa for Canadians
  • L-1 intra-company transfer visa for Canadians
  • L-1 new office visa for Canadians
  • E-2 treaty investor visa for Canadians starting or investing in a business in the U.S.
  • EB-5 green card for Canadians investing in the U.S.
  • EB-1 green card for Canadians of extraordinary ability, multi-national managers and executives, or outstanding researchers and professors
  • EB-2 green card for Canadians with advanced degrees, exceptional ability or who qualify under the National Interest Waiver (NIW)
  • EB-3 green card for Canadian professionals or skilled workers
  • Canadians naturalizing as United States citizens
  • Green card holders seeking re-entry permits
  • Canadians banned or barred from the U.S. and require a waiver or application for re-admission
  • Intra and inter-company employee transfers between Canadian and U.S. companies
  • U.S. waivers or applications for re-admission
  • Canadian applications for rehabilitation or Temporary Resident Permits (TRP)
  • Representing Canadian businesses or individuals in California courts, U.S. federal courts, and U.S. immigration courts
  • Setting up corporations and subsidiaries in the U.S.
  • Purchasing real estate in the U.S.

We also understand that getting your immigration papers approved is often just the first step in the process of relocating to a new country. To this end, Maximilian Law has trusted partners and colleagues in just about every state and province who can assist you and your family with any of the following:

  • Purchasing a new home
  • Setting up bank accounts
  • Estate planning
  • Applying for loans (car, personal, mortgage)
  • Applying for a social security number (U.S.) or a social insurance number (Canada)
  • Applying for a driver’s license
  • Applying for health insurance
  • Renewing your green card or passport
  • Enrolling your children in school

For more information, please visit