Options for UK and British Citizens to Immigrate to the United States after Brexit

On June 23, 2016, citizens of the United Kingdom held a referendum to determine whether the UK should leave the European Union – known as the Brexit referendum. White there were fierce advocates for both sides, the world expected that voters would choose to stay in the EU. However, the unexpected happened and the majority of voters decided that they wanted to leave the EU. This has no doubt caused havoc on UK’s economy and the world markets – even prompting many to ask for a “redo” of the referendum.  In light of this, Maximilian Law Inc. has gotten many inquiries from UK citizens on their options to immigrate to the United States.  Fortunately, citizens of the United Kingdom have several options on moving to the United States:


  • Marriage-Based Green Cards:  If you are UK citizen married to a U.S. Citizen, your spouse can sponsor you for a Green Card
  • K-1 Fiancé Visa:  If you are a UK citizen engaged to a U.S. Citizen, your fiancé can sponsor you for a K-1 visa that would allow you to travel to the United States to get married and apply for a green card
  • Family-Based Green Cards:  If you have a U.S. Citizen sibling, parent or child, you can be sponsored for a green card
  • LGBT & Same Sex Marriage Green Cards:  U.S. citizens in LGBT or same sex marriages can sponsor their UK spouses for green cards or a K-1 visa
  • L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visa:  UK citizens working for companies that have a related office in the U.S. can transfer on an L-1 visa
  • E-2 Treaty Investor Visa:  UK citizens can start or invest in a U.S. business for as little as $50,000 and qualify for an E-2 investor visa
  • Investor EB-5 Green Card:  If you invest $500,000 or $1 million into a U.S. business, you could qualify for an EB-5 green card
  • Work Visas:  There are several work visa categories available, including the H-1B, O-1, or L-1 visa
  • School:  If you are accepted into a U.S. School, you may be able to get an F-1 student visa

If you are a citizen of the UK looking to immigrate to the United States, the immigration law firm of Maximilian Law Inc. can evaluate your options.